Tenant Guide

Tenant How To Rent Guide

Application Process

As soon as an appropriate property has been found, you will need to complete an application. We need to ensure you have the ‘Right to Rent’. We reference all the application in house and have done for years, Ensuring we give a unique service like no other letting agent.

We will require the following documents from you in order to start and complete your application. This can be emailed to us, uploaded onto the website through the registration area or simply brought into the office.

  • Passport

If you don’t have a passport, we require two different documents which can be the FOLLOWING:

  • Driving license
  • UK birth certificate
  • Letter from a UK Local Authority
  • Benefits paperwork

We then require the following documents;

  • 2 Written character references (non-family) with address & tel. number
  • Last 3 months bank statements
  • Details of addresses for last 3 years & utility bill from present address
  • Landlords reference for the last 12 months
  • Housing benefit/ Universal credit reference number
  • Employers reference for last 12 months
  • Sight of benefit documents
  • National insurance number & Date of birth

After all the documents have been gathered, the final check is we would conduct a home visit on your current property to go through any further question we may have.


Once a moving date has been agreed and references have all been approved by the landlord we will then require payment. Normally we require the bond and 4 weeks rent in order to progress the application. This is made up of the following: 

  • Bond (equates to 4 weeks rent). 
  • 4 Weeks rent in advance
    (If you are wanting to work out the monthly rent, multiply the weekly rent by 52 weeks and divided by twelve months to give the per calendar month rental figure.) 

The above monies need to be in before the tenancy is able to commence, payment by means of either a Card, Cash or paid directly into our client bank account (and must be showing as cleared).

Tenancy Agreement

On the day when your tenancy begins, you will be required to sign a tenancy agreement, the agreement outlines both tenant and landlord obligations. 

Our tenancy runs for a minimum of 6 months as an assured short hold tenancy, After this point, they will be rolling until you do not wish to renew your agreement for a further period and It is important you note that the agreement is made between landlord and tenant, we act for the landlord only. 

By legal requirement we will issue you with the following along with the tenancy agreement; Gas Safety Certificate, Electrical Certificate, How to Rent guide, Tenancy Deposit Certificate & EPC.

Rental Payment

We fully manage all of our landlord's properties, Prior to signing the agreement we will confirm with you several things, one of being how would you be paying. We accept several different forms, there are Cash, Card, Bac transfer, Housing Benefit payments. We are very versatile in this area, if you require a different form of payment please talk to us beforehand about this matter.


A detailed inventory and check-in report protects landlords and tenants alike, providing an accurate description of the condition and contents of a property at the start of a tenancy. 

The condition of the property and its contents at the end of the tenancy is then compared back to this report in the form of a check-out report. The inventory clerk will also provide an opinion on whether any damage that has arisen during the tenancy is attributable to the tenants, to fair wear and tear or to the landlord as required maintenance. 

It is in a landlord's interest to ensure that inventories are prepared for properties that they own. In the worst case scenario, should you end up in court, the judge will tend to look more favourably on an impartial, unbiased inventory prepared by a third party unconnected to either the landlord or the tenants. Inventories prepared by landlords could be viewed as biased and one-sided. 

An inventory is of the property condition, furniture and fittings and effects will be prepared by the landlord, or an independent person instructed by the landlord prior to the tenancy commencing. The tenancy is checked and agreed between the tenant and the landlord at the tenancy commencement. 

Notice to end a tenancy 

To end your tenancy subject to term, you will be required to give us 4 weeks’ notice in writing of your intention to leave, unless otherwise specified in your specific tenancy agreement. Please note if you have just signed a tenancy agreement, you have to finish the tenancy before you can leave the property. Notice must be given on the fourth month only. As per all tenancy agreements, when checking out the property you must get the carpets professionally cleaned.


The responsibility for your belongings are down to you, you must ensure you have adequate contents insurance, the landlord accepts no responsibility and cannot be held responsible for any loss or damage to tenants possessions.

Deposit Returns 

When your tenancy ends, an inspection of the property will be carried out, either by the landlord or a staff member to ensure the property has been left in the same condition it was checked in.

We have up to 2 weeks to release the money back to if unless other alternatives have been agreed.

Tenants obligations 

From the signing of the tenancy the responsibility for the property lies with the tenant during the period of tenancy, always ensure that the property is fully secured and that during the winter months steps are taken to prevent freezing of the water and heating system. We are more than happy to help in any way we can and give advice.

Property Inspection 

We will carry out regualr inspections to assess the condition of the property and that everything is being kept in a satisfactory condition. We will always arrange this with you at a mutually convenient time. During this time, you will need to bring up any issues you have with the property.

Council Tax & Utilities 

From the day you sign the tenancy It is your responsibility to inform the utility companies of your move and to pay council tax to the local authority. Students could possibly be exempt from the payment of council tax, are responsible for informing the Local Authority of this.